2017 Program Dates: November 13-17 — Registration to open in Summer 2017
2017 Global Trade Academy (GTA): Legal Foundations and New Directions — the WTO & Beyond in an Era of Globalization Backlash
Georgetown Law’s Institute of International Economic Law (IIEL) will hold the 12th Academy in Fall 2017, from November 13-17.
Trade law and policy is front and center in today’s business climate, on the news and in election debates around the globe. One of IIEL’s leading Executive Education programs, the GTA both examines the legal foundations and constitutional underpinnings of the World Trade Organization (WTO) and its agreements and offers a deep dive into the most cutting-edge global trade issues of the day. Program faculty ensure participants are equipped to answer the tough questions in today’s era of globalization backlash, including:
- What are today’s most critical international commercial issues?
- What are the WTO’s future prospects and reforms?
- How well are its dispute mechanisms working? and
- How does the WTO relate to other global institutional and transnational commercial actors?
- What about other regional trade agreements?
The Curriculum: the Academy examines the legal obligations and policy underpinnings of the WTO and its agreements, in the context of how the WTO operates and how it relates to national governments. It strengthens participants’ critical thinking about the role of the WTO in solving real-world commercial problems, and addresses fundamental policy challenges. Participants come away with an excellent understanding of all of the requisite fundamentals, including:
- The Structure & Origins of the WTO
- Foundational Principles
- Nuts & Bolts re: Trade in Goods & Trade in Services
- General and Specific Exceptions
- Intellectual Property Protection
- Relationship to Other Trade & Investment Agreements
- WTO Dispute Settlement
Academy participants will explore the most pressing global trade issues of the day within and beyond the WTO system, such as:
- Trade, Environment & Climate Change
- Investment Issues
- International Monetary Affairs and Financial Regulation
- The Digital Economy – Digital Trade, Privacy & FinTech
- Hot-button International Tax Issues
- Developing Country Issues & Interests
- WTO & Other Trade Negotiations
- Ethical Issues in Global Transactions
Academy Faculty hail from diverse backgrounds, including academia, government, law firms, the diplomatic corps, the corporate world, and NGOs. All are global trade experts, and many presenters have a rich background negotiating international trade agreements in all of the areas at issue.
Academy Participants represent a wide variety of institutions. Recent attendees have hailed from organizations including:
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal
- Embassy of Canada
- Embassy of Spain
- Embassy of New Zealand
- European Commission
- Export-Import Bank of the United States
- General Electric
- Government of Canada-Department of Industry
- Numerous private law firms from the United States and abroad
- New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Department of Commerce
Who should attend? This Executive Education program is designed to build capacity to take advantage of the multilateral trading system, by training legal professionals, trade policy officials, members of the international business, IGO and NGO communities, academics, and others – including those from developing countries and transition economies. A law or economics degree is not necessary to attend.
In order to enhance each participant’s learning experience, space may be limited. Therefore, early registration is recommended.
2017 Program details will be available here soon. 2016 Program details are below:
Hyatt Regency Washington DC on Capitol Hill
400 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001
Please click here and ensure that Corporate Code 58549 is entered when making online reservations, or refer to that code when calling for reservations.
The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel
415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001
Please ask for the Georgetown Rate when calling for reservations.
To read more about the Academy, see the article, Celebrating 10 Years in the Spring/Summer issue of the Georgetown Law magazine.
Thank you for your interest in IIEL Executive Education. We look forward to welcoming you to campus soon!